In my head...and other thoughts.

My thoughts. Simple as that. I'm a Christian. Mom. Wife. Daughter. Friend. Coworker.


Monday, August 1, 2011

Wreath by Judy Christie

This is my first review. Please don't be looking for flowery words here, I'm a simple person who likes to just write in an uncomplicated way. Books will be rated from 1 star (terrible) to 5 stars (amazing!)


Wreath by Judy Christie is published by Barbour Publishing, INC. and will be released 10/01/2011. This is a young adult literature (YA) book.


The book starts out with Wreath trying to comfort her mother as she is very sick from an illness. Wreath's mom Frankie then dies and Wreath takes off, fleeing from her mom's boyfriend, Big Fun.

The story's plot revolves around Wreath's promise to her mother, to attend college after high school. (Wreath is entering her senior year.) Frankie also thinks Wreath has called Child Protective Services to be put in foster care, but what Frankie doesn't know...turns out to be Wreath's biggest downfall and success.

This story follows the year after Frankie dies, leaving Wreath to fend for herself in the big wide world, trying to still attend high school to honor her mother's wishes.


While the plot was very good, I enjoyed it very much, it was also unrealistic, in its setting. Maybe in a big city a girl like Wreath would go unnoticed, but in a small community where this supposedly takes place, it would not. (I'm from a small town...whatever you try to keep secret isn't...whatever you do is broadcasted!)  I did find it annoying that everyone "loved" her. To her out-dated, thrift clothes (come on...really she found wearable clothes in junk cars that have been sitting there for ages?!) to her ideas for decorating. That seemed a little far-fetched as well. No one is always liked by everyone, a fact everyone knows.

I like the determination of Wreath in her situations, which will probably help teens overcome their struggles as I'm sure none of them face what she tackles head on. The character is well developed and I can remember feeling and thinking some of the same thoughts when I was in my teens.


I would give this book a 3.5 star rating. The plot was good, just maybe not the way it was told. Wreath by Judy Christie is published by Barbour Publishing, INC. and will be released 10/01/2011. This is a young adult literature (YA) book.

1 comment:

Becky's bookshelf: read

The Lovely Bones
5 of 5 stars
This book was sooo good! I really loved reading it. It is about a girl who has been murdered and we join her while she overlooks her family dealing with the aftermath of loosing a daughter/sister/etc. Alice Sebold did very well with this bo...

goodreads.com